Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Salicylates challenge more than expected

After 31 days of a strict elimination diet, we've finally entered the discovery phase.  Our first challenge, salicylates, was harder than I thought it would be.  For the previous 31 days I had looked forward to indulging in strawberries, mangoes, cherries, pumpkin, and apples, and once again enjoying the flavor provided by curry and cinnamon.  I thought my son would too; he was absolutely fixated on pictures of strawberries.  But the food didn't taste as good as I expected, and I was surprised to discover that I didn't feel very well either.

We embarked on this diet to discover the cause of my son's eczema, which has been present since he was a month old.  It could be anything he has contact with, including the pervasive dust mite, but since food proteins and chemicals can be passed through breast milk, and are one of the few things we have much control over, we decided to do an exhaustive test of foods to determine if any of them were the cause.  Many food allergies can be diagnosed through skin prick tests or blood tests, but foods can also cause irritation without triggering an allergic reaction, and these sensitivities to food can only be determined by altering your diet.  To find a food sensitivity or allergy, you first eliminate all likely causes of irritation from your diet for a period of time.  This is the elimination phase of the diet.  The next stage is to challenge your body with possible irritants.  This is the discovery phase of the diet.  For some irritants, the reaction may be reduced by avoiding exposure to the irritant for a while, so there is a period of developing tolerance following the completion of the discovery phase, and then you should follow a maintenance diet that minimizes consumption of foods that cause a reaction for you.

It is worth noting, since many people I've spoken with about this whole process do not seem to understand this at first, that you are not meant to stay on the highly restricted elimination diet indefinitely.  Nor is it the theory of the diet developers that salicylates are inherently bad for everyone.  Once you have determined which classes of food do not cause a reaction for you through the challenge phase then those foods can be reintroduced into your diet.

The first challenge
Our first challenge was salicylates.  You may be asking yourself "What are salicylates?"  It's a fair question; it's not an everyday word.  Salicylates are a class of chemicals that occur naturally in fruits, vegetables, and nuts and are thought to function as natural pesticides.  According to the research of the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Allergy Unit, a surprising number of people respond to salicylates, meaning that they will have some sort of reaction if they eat a large quantity.  Responses to salicylates vary dramatically, but can include migraines, rashes, irritability, restlessness, gastrointestinal problems, and asthma.  Salicylates occur in almost all fruits, many vegetables, and virtually anything derived from them, including artificial and natural flavors, most types of alcoholic drinks, and aspirin.

What was the salicylate challenge?
The challenge required eating six serves of salicylate laden foods a day for a week (or until we reacted, which ever happened first).  My own participation in the elimination diet was mandated by the fact that I was still breastfeeding my son, and anything I ate could be passed to him through the breast milk, so I anticipated participating in the challenge as long as my son did.  The foods we were required to eat comprised:
  • mangoes
  • Granny Smith apples
  • cherries
  • nectarines
  • peaches
  • apricots
  • watermelon
  • cantaloupe
  • strawberries
  • pumpkin
  • sweet potato
  • asparagus
  • bell pepper
  • carrots
  • cucumber
  • zucchini
  • honey
  • cinnamon
  • curry powder
  • tea
There was no shortage of choice, especially since it is stone fruit season.  On the first day, we ate strawberries on our breakfast, watermelon for morning tea, zucchini with lunch, mango and yogurt for afternoon tea, cherries before dinner, and a colorful stir fry for dinner.

Though we continued to stuff ourselves with red and orange fruits, both my son and I lost our appetite for the challenge foods pretty quickly.  On day one, I had a mild stomach ache most of the day, and by the afternoon I didn't feel like doing much of anything.  By day three, I was longing for cabbage, and my son wouldn't eat anything containing salicylates after lunch.  Over six days of the challenge (I didn't last all seven) I had a stomach ache of some sort nearly the entire time.  I was also irritable, emotional, and unmotivated.

Clearly I was responding to the salicylates, however, since my motivation for doing the diet was not to assess the cause of my own moods but to determine the cause of my son's skin problems, it took me five days before I finally clued in to the correlation between my mood and my diet.  Even then, I couldn't stand the thought of missing out on two more days of red and orange fruits and persisted eating them for almost another day before I realized that I was not only torturing myself, but increasing the likelihood of suffering withdrawal symptoms, and stopped the challenge.

It has taken six days for my son's skin to get back to what it was before the challenge and it is now clear that he also reacted to salicylates.

What next?
After the challenge we went back on to the elimination diet.  The first three days following a challenge are considered part of the challenge, as it is possible for reactions to be delayed, and also required to ensure there are no residual effects from the salicylates before the next challenge.  My mood improved almost immediately but both of us continued to show signs of reactions to salicylates over that period.  Since his skin has only just returned to its pre-challenge condition, we will wait a few more days before we go onto the next challenge, which for us will be amines.  Tune in next week for the results.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know if you've heard of a product called No-Fenol, but it is supposed to dramatically reduce the requirement for these elimination diets, because it helps the body to digest things like salicylates and other phenolic foods. No -- I don't sell the stuff -- I can barely afford it as I'm on Medicaid, but the last time I tried it, it really made a difference. A google search will turn up a lot of information on the product and it's many benefits for many different "allergies" or "intolerances".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information, Dan. I can see that a product that works as No Phenol claims to work would be useful when faced with the social challenge of eating what others provide you, but my preferred way of treating the problem is to avoid the problem chemicals in the first place when possible.
    I do not subscribe to the use of drugs (especially "supplements" that are not required to satisfy any FDA standards) to treat a symptom of a problem without fully understanding the problem, which is why I am trying to get away from the long term use of Cortisone to treat his skin problems. The intention of the elimination and challenge diet is to identify the source of the problem so that we can treat it at the source. Using diet to control the problem appeals to me because it does not require us to rely on drugs to treat the problem.
    Of course, if I had just discovered that I wouldn't be able to eat blueberries ever again, I might be singing a different tune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe it's been so long since I posted that -- I completely forgot! :)
    Anyway, i would strongly encourage that you at least look into some of the other mother's stories -- I think on www.enzymestuff.com(?).
    I agree with you -- it's best to avoid the causes of the problem, and ESPECIALLY all the chemical additives that are often huge sources of sals and phenols, which brings me to the FDA. Who has allowed all these artificial ingredients to be included in 95% of the stuff sold at grocery stores? Who has repeatedly denied that these chemicals don't cause any harm despite massive evidence to the contrary? I would humbly suggest that the FDA is more concerned with the food and drug industry lobbyists, than the public for whom it was designed to protect. I guess I should give them credit for finally going after trans-fats, but that's after 20=30 years of studies showing they're more harmful than saturated fats...
    Just my two cents! :)
    Hope you're continuing to improve -- and glad I stumbled across your blog again.
    Dan

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Please note that I review all comments before they are published, which means it may be a few days before they appear on the blog.