Friday, December 23, 2005

Finishing fiction

I finished reading Life of Pi last night.  I stayed up way past my bedtime to do so, and after I put the book down I concluded that one should never finish a good book just before it's time to go to sleep.

This is especially true with fiction, which often doubles its pace in the final chapters, turning everything you've absorbed in great detail upside down at the last second.  I can remember reading The Princess Bride
for the first time as a 14 year old, crying with anger at the turn of  events in the epilogue (this part was left out of the movie, by the way).  Of course, that's the sign of a good book, one that leaves you mulling over everything you read in great detail to figure out some piece that is revealed to you in the end that requires revisiting everything you read before before you can know what it means.

1 comment:

  1. i LOVED life of pi. (sara did, too.)
    in fact, sara started a book club last month, and LoP is their next book.
    (if you lived closer, i could get you into her club. alas....)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Please note that I review all comments before they are published, which means it may be a few days before they appear on the blog.