Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Wireless neighborhood

My wireless network is on the fritz, which is pretty sad given how new it is (less than six months).  It had a rocky start, which was followed by a month or two of blissful constant connection, and has now degenerated into only good reception punctuated by frequent drop outs.

What's changed, you ask?  Got me.

Anyway, as a result, I spend a lot of time looking at my wireless network configuration dialog.  Davis is there (it always is).  Tudor Systems is there, slower, but visible.  Maybe I see 1354 House, maybe not.  My own network is never there when I'm looking at the dialog.  Typically, the signal reappears minutes before my son wakes up.

Two things strike me as strange about this.  The first is why I am getting a better signal from the network across the street than I am from the one in the next room.  The second, is how our neighborhoods have changed;  I learned the next door neighbor's last name from their network.   Now, they're actually quite nice people, and I must admit that I knew them before I saw their network listed on my computer.  I've even joked that I should just pay to use their Internet connection since I can never connect to mine.  But isn't it peculiar how in this day of isolation from the people most physically near us we should have this kind of wireless introduction?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Please note that I review all comments before they are published, which means it may be a few days before they appear on the blog.