Friday, November 18, 2005

What is a wombat?

You may know this already: a wombat is a furry, fat, nocturnal marsupial that comes from Australia, which is where I live.

So what does a wombat have to do with cents?  Not much, except that when I moved to Australia from the US the exchange rate was almost 2 Australian dollars to 1 US dollar.  It made for very confusing conversations about the price of housing with friends and family back home, so we decided to call the Australian ones wombats, though technically they probably should have been called roos or kangaroos, since that's what's featured on the $1 coin.

So what does this have to do with this blog?  Again, not much really, except that it will undoubtedly be flavoured by the fact that I am an American living in Australia.

1 comment:

  1. Even more confusing than the U.S. and Australian units of currency having the same name but being of different value is the fact that the Mexican peso is designated by the dollar sign ("$") throughout Mexico. When I used ATMs in Mexico recently, this resulted in my checking account balance as shown on the ATM receipt in pesos making it look like I had won the lottery. Oh, no. That dollar sign really means pesos, which are worth less than ten U.S. cents.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter. Please note that I review all comments before they are published, which means it may be a few days before they appear on the blog.